Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

EDO state police arrest 85 year old man for raping 7-year old child

POLICE at Ogida in the Egor Local Government Area of Edo State have arrested an 85-year old man amid allegations that he raped a seven year old in what is one of the worst ever cases of child abuse in Nigeria.


According to the police, Peter Elaiho, 85, is now in custody for defiling the unnamed girl at Use, Ogida quarters, in the Egor Local Government Area of the state. It was gathered that the case was first reported at the Ogida Police Station but was later transferred to the state police headquarters for further investigation.

 alt

Endurance Ogieva, the mother of the victim, a rice trader, alleged that she was offered N1m by relatives of the suspect, for the case to be withdrawn. She said the act was committed at the residence of the suspect, where she had left her children with her sister, who is a neighbour to Mr Elaiho.



Mrs Ogieva said: “I normally leave my children with my sister each time I go out to sell rice but on the day in question, after 30 minutes, I decided to go and check on my son, who was sick. I met my son sleeping and my sister’s husband was also sleeping, while his wife was inside the room but I did not see my daughter and I later heard her shouting.



“I traced the noise to the landlord’s room, rushed there and saw the man naked. He, then, begged me to settle but my shouts attracted people."



She added that she then saw the suspect’s pants down and that blood and sperm were found in her daughter's vaginal area. Upon the discovery of blood stains and sperm, she then went to the police station and the man was subsequently arrested.



“The police took her to their clinic and they said she had a tear in her vagina. My daughter, however explained that he held a knife and threatened her not to shout or he would kill her,” Mrs Ogieva explained.



Jennifer Ero, the coordinator of Child Protection Network, said the non-establishment of a family court in the state was responsible for slow dispensation of justice in rape cases. She added that her group would ensure that the case is charged to court as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment